Tuesday, December 6, 2011

2011 Sports Review

Steelers 41 – Browns 9

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=310102005

So I decided to go to the last game of the year vs. the hated Pittsburgh Steelers. I believe it was the first Browns game I attended with both my brothers.

The Browns started off with the ball and moved the ball down the field on their first two plays by spreading out the vaunted Steelers defense with a shotgun spread. What a start by our Cleveland Browns. Unfortunately on the third play, the ball bounced off Ben Watson hands right into a Steelers defender. Naturally the next play was a 60 yard bomb to Mike Wallace and the game was basically over right there.

We left at halftime which I believe was the earliest I have ever left a game. Thankfully the Steelers lost to the Packers in the Super Bowl a month later which made this a little better.

Browns 8 Championships – Steelers 6 Super Bowls. Take that Pittsburgh!

Magic 103 – Cavaliers 87

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/310130019/boxscore?gameId=310130019

First game post LeBron: The Cavs stink. I don’t even think the Magic were trying that hard.

Hawks 99 – Cavaliers 83

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/310327005/atlanta-hawks-vs-cleveland-cavaliers

Second game post LeBron: The Cavs stink. I don’t even think the Hawks were trying that hard.

Indians 3 – Twins 1

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310813105

We missed most of the game as we went to the Browns pre-season game and watched the first quarter and a half of that before cabbing it over to the Tribe game. I don’t remember but I think we missed the home run so we basically missed everything. Perez did strike out Thome to end the game which made the crowd happy. Little did they know he would playing for the Tribe weeks later to try and help the Tribe win the AL Central the last month (it was too late).

Bengals 27 – Browns 17

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310911005

Week 1 of the NFL season and another loss. That makes them 1-10 in season openers since they have been back. And I am proud to say I have been to most of these games. What a joke this team is….as usual. The Browns put themselves in a 13-0 right off the bat, came back to take a 17-13 lead, only to blow it late when the defense couldn’t get out of the huddle while the Bengals lined up for a play which resulted in a 40 yard bomb. The sad part was that only put the Browns down 20-17 with more than enough time left but it just felt useless that they could even tie the game.

Browns 17 – Dolphins 16

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310925005

The Browns won this one after 57 minutes of terrible football. They drove all the way down the field and scored with under a minute when Mohamed Massaquoi made a great TD reception in the corner to give the Browns a one point victory.

2011 Overview

The Browns look the same if not worse than they ever have since they have been back. I think they finally have some (a handful) players but most of them are on the defensive side of the ball. They have the Falcons first round pick next year so we will see how they should have a top ten pick and then a pick in the early 20’s. With their early second round pick, they should be able to take three of the top 40 players right. They have to get them all. That being said, I see another five win team next year.

The Cavaliers traded Mo Williams and Jamario Moon for Baron Davis and their number one pick early in the year. The Clippers number one pick actually got selected first (up from seven) for the lottery . With their own pick at 4, the Cavaliers were able to draft Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson. I see more losing this year and hopefully another high pick in next year’s draft. That could be a pretty good core. I don’t see wins for another three years though.

The Indians actually had a pretty good year in 2011. They just had too many injuries to really stick around until the end and it was more than the usual Sizemore and Hafner episodes. I actually think they could be in contention next year. Their pitching is pretty deep, and they have some good young talent in the field.

The Buckeyes football team will be right in the mix of things next year again. It was a strange year since the Michigan game last year. Five players suspended including Pryor, Sugar Bowl win vs Arkansas (their first win against the SEC in a bowl game) Tressel fired, Pryor goes to the NFL, the team goes 6-6 and loses to Michigan, and they then finish the year with the hiring of Urban Meyer. The Buckeyes basketball team is currently ranked two. They will be in the mix in the tournament and should be there until the last eight teams.

Until 2012.

No comments: